Did you know that ants are the most common pest in Tucson? They're so common that most people don't even think twice about them. But many people don't realize that ants can be a big problem in your home.
Besides simply being irritating, ants also carry bacteria and contaminate food. In addition, some species of ants can even damage your home. So it's essential to be aware of the potential problems that ants can cause and take steps to prevent them with pest control in Tucson.
Conquistador Pest & Termite will discuss the life cycle of common ants, the many problems they can create in your home, and some no-nonsense tips for keeping them away. Take control of your home with effective ant control in Tucson today!
The Life Cycle Of Common Ants
Ants in Tucson live in colonies that can have thousands of members. Each colony revolves around the queen, whose sole purpose is to lay eggs. These eggs are typically tended to by worker ants, which are sterile females. Once the eggs hatch, the larvae stage begins. The larvae eventually turn into cream-colored pupae, which look like adult worker ants and turn darker in color before maturing. Once they mature, the pupae will become adult worker ants. These ants you typically see foraging for food or protecting the colony.
When the queen ant decides to leave her current colony in search of a mate, she forms a new colony. Once she finds a mate, she will shed her wings and begin to build a new nest. The male ant will then die, leaving the queen to lay all of the eggs for the new colony.
One of the reasons it's so challenging to eliminate an entire ant colony is the queen's reproductive behavior. The queen can lay up to 2000 eggs per day, so the colony can quickly replenish its numbers.
Also, ant colonies often have multiple queens; even if you kill one queen, there may be other queens that can continue to reproduce and keep the colony alive.
Most traditional DIY ant control solutions are not very effective. The ant control products you buy at the store might kill the worker ants, but they won't touch the eggs or the queen. And as long as the queen is alive, she can continue to lay eggs and repopulate the colony.
The Many Problems Ants Can Create In Your Home
While ants may seem harmless, the reality is that they can be a big problem for homeowners. Several different types of ants typically infest Tucson homes, and they all cause various problems:
- Carpenter ants: Carpenter ants are one of the most destructive types of ants. They tunnel through wood, which can weaken the structure of your home. Unlike termites, carpenter ants do not eat the wood; they tunnel through it, which tends to cause more easily visible damage. If left unchecked, carpenter ants can cause significant damage to your home by weakening its structure, and they can also be challenging to eliminate.
- Fire ants: Fire ants are a type of ant native to South America but introduced to other parts of the world, including the United States. Fire ants are aggressive and will bite and sting humans if they feel threatened. They can also cause serious side effects if someone is allergic to their venom.
- Sugar ants: Sugar ants are a type of ant that is attracted to sweets. They are tiny and typically only cause problems if left unchecked and allowed to multiply. However, even a small number of sugar ants can be a nuisance because they will constantly be searching for food in your home.
- Pavement ants: Pavement ants are a type of ant that typically makes their homes, as their name implies, in pavement cracks. However, they will also infest homes and other buildings. Pavement ants are small but can be a nuisance because they often travel in large numbers.
- Pharaoh ants: Pharaoh ants are a type of ant that is native to Africa. They are small and can be a nuisance if they invade your home. Pharaoh ants are attracted to sweets and often enter homes searching for food. When they do, they can contaminate food and spread diseases.
Once ants have infested your home, getting them out can be a real pain. Ants live in colonies, and if you only kill a few ants, the colony will send more ants to replace them. If you have an ant problem, it is best to call a professional pest control company to eliminate them.
Conquistador Pest & Termite can help you eliminate ants and keep them from returning. We're a local, family-owned business providing effective ant control in Tucson for over 45 years. We use only environmentally friendly, EPA-approved products and offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Whichever type of ant is bugging you; we can help.
We also offer preventative services to help keep ants from returning. If you have problems with ants in your Tucson home, call us today to request a free estimate.
Five No-Nonsense Ant Prevention Tips For Around The House
Ants are always a threat in Tucson, so it is important to implement steps to prevent them from getting into your home in the first place. Here are five no-nonsense tips on home pest control for ants that you can implement today:
- Seal cracks and crevices: One of the best ways to prevent ants from entering your home is to seal any cracks or crevices they could use to enter. Look around the outside of your home and seal any gaps you see. You can use a foam sealant or silicone caulk for this.
- Keep your home clean: Ants are attracted to food, so one of the best ways to prevent them from coming into your home is to keep your kitchen and other food areas clean. Wipe up spills immediately, don’t leave food out, and take the trash out regularly.
- Store food in containers: Another way to keep ants out of your home is to store food in containers with tight-fitting lids; this will prevent ants from accessing the food and make it easier to keep your kitchen clean.
- Use natural repellents: There are several natural repellents that you can utilize to keep ants away from your home. Some examples include citrus peel, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle these around the outside of your home or in areas where you’ve seen ants.
- Keep an eye on your yard: One of the best ways to prevent ants from entering your home is to keep an eye on your yard for existing ant colonies. By practicing outdoor ant control, you’ll also eliminate the ants that could come into your home. However, if the ants are fire ants, it is best to call a professional rather than try to remove them yourself.
If you've tried these tips and still have problems with ants, call Conquistador Pest & Termite. Our ant pest control services in Tucson can help you get rid of these pests.
The Most Effective Ant Control Method For Tucson Homes
If you have a persistent ant problem in your home, the best thing to do is call a professional pest control company. At Conquistador Pest & Termite, we understand how to effectively eliminate ants and keep them from returning. Since 1978, Tucson homeowners have trusted us to protect their homes from pests.
We've built our reputation as a trusted pest control company by providing what we call the "Ultimate Level of Service." We go above and beyond to ensure our customers are completely satisfied and only use the highest quality products and methods.
When you call us for ant control, we will first send one of our experienced technicians to your home for an inspection. During the inspection, the technician will identify the type of ant infesting your home and determine the best course of action for treatment. We use a variety of methods to eliminate ants that are all effective, environmentally friendly, and safe for children and pets.
We also offer our signature Conquer All Service, our comprehensive home pest control approach. With this service, we will treat your home for ants and every other common pest in Tucson; this is an ideal solution for homeowners who want the peace of mind that comes with knowing they have a home protected from a wide variety of pests.
If you are looking for the most effective ant control in your house, call Conquistador Pest & Termite today. We will be happy to answer any questions you have and provide a free estimate for our services.