What It Takes To Get Rid Of Rats On Your Tucson Property
October 10, 2022
Rat prevention is necessary due to how destructive these rodents can be, not to mention the diseases rats carry that may be transmitted indirectly through their urine and fecal matter. When you think you may have a rat problem, it may be time to contact the experts at Conquistador Pest & Termite for pest control in Tucson to help you get rid of rats.
How To Tell If It's Rats On Your Property
During the cooler months, Tucson rodent activity may seem to slow down, but homeowners need to be on the lookout for increased activity. Rats can spread dangerous diseases, contaminate food, and bring fleas and lice into homes, and they may also damage property by chewing through drywall, insulation, and wires.
Here are some common signs of rat activity:
- Rat droppings are often left behind in places where food is stored, such as kitchen cabinets or pantries, under sinks, or inside boxes.
- Rodents cause property damage by chewing through almost any type of material, including lead pipes and plastic in search of food or water.
- Rub marks are left along walls and floorboards as rodents follow scent trails throughout homes between their nests and food.
- Rats build nests in dark, secluded areas where there is little to no chance of disturbance. Shredded paper products, packing materials, wall insulation, and fabric scattered around the house may be signs that rodents are nearby.
- Strange noises in the walls, especially at night, can be concerning, as these sounds may be attributed to rodents running around the house, between the walls, and into the attic.
If you see any of these signs of rats in your house you should speak with a professional pest control company about the best way to get rid of rats in your Tucson home.
The Damage And Dangers Rats Can Create
When rats in Tucson gain a foothold in your home the threat they pose to your family’s health and property isn’t small. Rodent feces can contaminate food sources and trigger allergic reactions, and, once dry, can be hazardous to people who breathe it in. Additionally, rodent feces can spread diseases, including hantavirus and salmonellosis.
Rats also cause significant property damage by gnawing through materials, including plastic. These factors are major influences when considering rodent control services in Tucson.
The Most Effective Way To Get Rid Of Rats On Your Property
Since rats can fit through holes the size of a quarter, the only way to keep them out of buildings is to seal any cracks and voids in houses, garages, and sheds. Homeowners can also put into place other pest-proofing steps, but the most effective way to get rid of rats is always to contact a professional pest control service. Conquistador Pest & Termite has been serving the Tucson area since 1977 and will effectively get rid of rats.
Five Simple Ways To Prevent Future Rat Infestations
Here are five simple tips on how to prevent rats:
- Seal holes and cracks in the outside of your home, paying attention to areas where pipes and utilities enter the home.
- Replace loose weatherstripping and mortar around the basement, foundation, and windows.
- Store firewood at least 30 feet from the home and five feet off the ground.
- Eliminate all moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains, and keep basements and attics clear.
- Put all food in rodent-proof containers.
If your rat problem persists and you still need help, Conquistador Pest & Termite is here. We offer effective rodent management and prevention; call us now for a free estimate and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Tucson.